Friday, January 23, 2009

The Whole 'Beef' Enchilada

Now I do enjoy cooking BUT it always seems that when ever I try to cook on the weekdays I become a little stressed out. So keeping that in mind I might make a full meal from scratch once a week. The rest are meals consisting of sauce in a jar, breaded and cooked chicken, pizza or takeout.
I did, however, make these beef enchiladas last night and I have to say they were really good. I think making the red sauce from scratch made all the difference. They did not take too long to make so I was able to enjoy some couch time before bed. I am only cooking for two people so keep that in mind when recreating this recipe.

Beef Enchiladas
1/2 pound ground beef
1/2 white onion diced
3/4 cup shredded cheese - I used a Mexican blend
5 freshly made tortillas - Mission tortillas are not allowed in our house
1 cup pico de galo - bought at Kroger
1 Serrano pepper - diced and seeds removed
1/4 cup chopped cilantro


Red Sauce
3 tablespoons chili powder
1 tablespoon cumin
3 tablespoons flour
1 teaspoon cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
1 teaspoon oregano
2 cups water/broth
1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce


I made the sauce first while the ground beef was cooking and preheated the oven to 375. Just add all ingredients to a sauce pan and let simmer. I added 1 cup beef broth and 1 cup water. It made enough for this meal plus I was able to freeze the rest for later.

Cook the ground beef until almost done on the stove top and add the onions and the pepper. Cook until the onions are transparent. Add some of the sauce you made to the ground beef mixture. Just enough to add flavor and moisture. Next take out an 8x8 pan and coat with non-stick spray. Dip the tortillas in the sauce and place in pan one at a time adding some beef mixture and a little cheese. Roll the enchiladas and place the cease face down. Once you have filled all tortillas pour the red sauce over the enchiladas. Until 1/2 inch of the pan is filled with the sauce. Sprinkle the remaining cheese over the enchiladas and place in the oven.

Cook until the cheese is melted and slightly crisp on the edges. Once you remove it, sprinkle the pico de galo and cilantro on top and serve.

No comments: