Monday, July 6, 2009

July 4th

It was nice having a three day weekend. I was able to visit with friends and take as many naps as I wanted. We went to Dave's house on the 4th and he cooked an amazing brisket and I had some of the best boudin I have ever had.

My contribution to the event was Macaroni and Cheese Bites. I was told they were good and that they should indeed be made again so I will add them to my list of approved appetizers. I think the next recipe I try will be hummus but we shall see.


Macaroni and Cheese Bites


3 tablespoons butter
4 tablespoons flour
1 1/2 cups milk
3 packed cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, grated, plus more for sprinkling on top
2 extra large egg yolks
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg, freshly grated
1 pound elbow macaroni, cooked and drained

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Spray a 24-count, nonstick mini muffin pan with cooking spray. Set aside.

In a large saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Whisk in the flour and cook for about 1 minute. Whisk in the milk and bring to a boil. Cook, whisking occasionally, for about 2 -3 minutes until thickened. Add cheddar and Parmesan cheeses and stir to melt. Remove from heat and stir in egg yolks, salt and nutmeg. Stir in macaroni.

Spoon slightly rounded tablespoons of macaroni and cheese into the prepared mini muffin pan. Each cup should be filled to the top. Pack each one down gently. Sprinkle with remaining Parmesan cheese.

Bake for about 10 minutes, until golden and sizzling. Let cool for 5 minutes. Using a teaspoon, carefully loosen the mac and cheese bites and transfer to a platter to serve.

To make ahead, bake and cool mac and cheese bites. Package and refrigerate. Place bites on a baking sheet and bake in preheated 400 degree oven for 5 minutes. Serve warm.

No comments: